Monday, February 22, 2010

Whole Grain Almond-Poppyseed Biscotti

I'd drinking too much coffee so I switched to tea for a while, but my mexican chocolate biscotti just don't pair as well. I really love a dipping cookie with my steamy mug in the morning, so I needed a worthy substitute for my go-to chocolate.
I was trying to think of a less staid version of almond biscotti when the almond-poppyseed muffins of my youth popped into my head. They were from a box mix and were always cooked in a circular ring mold on top of a Coleman campstove -- my mom didn't make box muffins at home but my dad usually made breakfast for everyone when we were camping. He'd have a few flavors to chose from, but if I got to pick I always went for almond-poppyseed. You may not be as familiar with this combo as you are with almond/lemon, but these biscotti should make a tasty introduction.

Recipe: Whole-Grain Almond Biscotti
You can use 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in lieu of Amaretto. I only had one tablespoon of poppy seeds left, but I wanted more and the recipe reflects my desired amount. You can also omit them for straight almond goodness. You can sub whole wheat pastry flour for half or all-purpose flour for all, if you choose.

1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 T Amaretto

1 cup white whole wheat
1 cup oat flour
1/2 c toasted or dry roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
2 T poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Line or grease a baking sheet and set aside. Beat wet ingredients just until frothy [don't go to ribbon stage]. Add all dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined with no flour pockets. [It's half oat flour so it won't get tough.] Scrape bowl into two roughly even logs on the baking sheet [this stuff is sticky, don't add more flour], wet your hands, and pat into shape.
Bake 35 minutes or until cracks form on the surface. Reduce oven to 325F and cool logs on a rack ~10 minutes.

Slice into logs on a diagonal, being careful the length of your biscotti doesn't exceed the height of the jar in which you intend to store them. Lay cut side up on the cooling rack [It's a ventilated baking sheet !] and bake for another 20 minutes.
[You can also bake them on a normal sheet, but you'll need to flip them after 10 minutes.]
Cool completely before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment