Thursday, January 7, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

Do you pronounce all of the "s"s in Brussels sprouts? I realized as I typed the title that I never do. It's actually kind of tricky to say...
As a kid, I once at a Brussels sprout with half of a gray-green worm in the middle [it was probably a caterpillar, really] and refused to eat them for about 10 years. I've since reversed that opinion and loved them shaved raw in the spring or roasted in the winter. Whatever you do, don't boil them; they're easy to overboil and release a horrible sulfur smell when they do.

Roasted, they're an easy side dish that goes great with meats or pasta. They're also super simple, just halve them, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt, and dump them on a foil-lined a baking sheet at ~425F for 20-25 minutes or until they're spotty brown and soft. [You could do them with kabocha on the same pan.]

No comments:

Post a Comment