Friday, September 11, 2009

Roasted Summer Squash

After posting the squash pizza, I realized I've never shared this preparation method. [I think it's too simple to count as a recipe]. I eat this frequently as a side dish or tossed with tomatoes and whole-grain pasta. I used to use tender calabacita (thin-skinned, variegated "little squash") whenever they were in season at my Fiesta grocery store -- about half the year -- but it works just as well with whatever variety of summer squash your neighbor or CSA gives you.

Recipe: Roasted Summer Squash

I know it's still too hot in some parts of the country for some people to turn on their big ovens, but I like to do a bunch at a time. These can go fast and two gourds per person is not out of the question. When we do have leftovers, they tend to disappear in snacking forkfuls straight from the fridge.

Summer squash or zucchini, sliced into rounds or planks 1/8- 1/4" thick
coarse sea salt or kosher salt
cracked black pepper
red pepper flakes
one clove of garlic, minced, for every 2 gourds

Preheat oven [or toaster oven if you're just doing a single gourd] to 450F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coast with cooking spray. Lay squash on pan in a single layer, spray with more cooking spray, and sprinkle with seasonings [the garlic will clump; it's not a problem].
Roast 10-15 minutes or until tops look a little dried out and brown spots are starting to appear. Flip the slices over with a spatula (try not to rip the foil) and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment